Keresés

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #18 üzenetére

"Each company used to have their own secret recipe in the form of specialized software to cause maximum load beyond anything that could be reached using commercially available software, to arrive at maximum thermal dissipation requirements. Please pay attention to the term “commercially available”."

Nem a forgalomban lévő (bármely) szoftverrel/szoftverekkel hanem bizonyos szoftverrel/szoftverekkel. Nem mindegy...

"Minden negyedik-ötödik magyar funkcionális analfabéta – derült ki a nemzetközi felmérésekből."

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #45 üzenetére

"Erre én azt mondom, hogy eddig még nem láttam olyan mérést, ami azt hozta volna ki, hogy egy intel proci többet fogyasztana a megadott TDP-nél."

Akkor ezt tekintsd meg:

P4 670 - TDP: 115W

P4 840 EE - TDP: 130W

P4 955 - TDP: 130W

Itt pedig találsz pár valós mérési eredményt.

[ Szerkesztve ]

"Minden negyedik-ötödik magyar funkcionális analfabéta – derült ki a nemzetközi felmérésekből."

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Oliverda #47 üzenetére

P4 820 D - TDP: 95W

(lejárt a mod idő)

[ Szerkesztve ]

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #49 üzenetére

"A 955 húzva volt a gyári órajelhez képest, ezért diszkvalifikálható."

Nem volt húzva. Ennek a procinak 3.46 GHz az alapórajele, de ez azon a linken is megtalálható ahol az összes többi adat van. [link]

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #51 üzenetére

Ja, és azért még a 2x Xeon X5365 is túllépte egy kicsit a 120W TDP/CPU értéket, igaz csak 3,6 wattal per CPU. :D

[ Szerkesztve ]

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #53 üzenetére

Igen. Viszont hogy ne csak OFF legyen.

The Temperature Effect

More by mistake than by rational thought, we stumbled back upon a phenomenon we had been looking into for many CPUs over the years, that is, the effect of poor thermals on the CPU power consumption. In short, we had a bad clip on the heatsink which still made enough contact to carry the system through all benchmarks and stresstests but we observed some throttling under full load. Note that this is no longer the duty-cycle reduction initiated by the ProcHOT pin but that we are looking at some multiplier reduction as a function of thermal runaway (after reseating everything, the issue completely went away).

To make a long story short, under those conditions, CoreDamage maxed out at ~2660 MHz or 89% of the target frequency but we measured up to 102 W CPU power. The same thing happened in Intel Burn Test.

+ az uncore ami külön tápról kapja a kraftot az LGA-1366 és 1156 esetében.

[link]

[ Szerkesztve ]

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #56 üzenetére

Épp eleget. :)

Persze...csak nem nagyon lehet ismerni minden egyes VRM hatásfokát. Főleg most amikor már jó pár gyártó beújított ezen a téren.

Maradjunk annyiban hogy a feljebb linkelt adatok fényében szerintem nem alaptalan az a néphit ami Intel TDP értékeiről szól. :)

• Oliverda

félisten

válasz Tyberius #60 üzenetére

"Ez lehet alapja az átlagfogyasztásos sztorinak, de attól az még nem igaz."

Szerinted. :)

Bennfentes alkalmazott:

It's ok to call me a liar, but keep in mind that since I work in the industry, I know a lot more than the average person when it comes to these things. I don't make things up because I everything that I do can be tracked back directly to me. The internet is anonymous but I post as myself, so I need an extra level of scrutiny.

You are mistaken about TDP, because both companies deal with it differently.

Intel has 2 power levels: TDP and max power, (and now a third, "sustained power").

Take a look at the X5570 to see: [link]

Maximum power dissipation (W) 197.97; 155.56 (sustained)
    Thermal Design Power (W) 95

So the way Intel always measured it in the past, Max power is the maximum power that a CPU can draw. Every transistor firing in a worst case scenario.

TDP is a de-rated value (used to be 80%, but it has been creeping down which is bad). Intel would take the maximum power, assume that the processor would throttle the clock down and then take that measurement (of a throttled processor) as the "TDP".

Since that time they have added a maximum sustained, maybe you can ask them what that means. I am assuming that max power is a spike power and that sustained is something that lasts more than a few milliseconds.

Regardless, the maximum power that the processor could conceivably draw is 197W.

Our TDP is equivalent to their max power, it is the maximum power the processor could draw, every transistor firing in a worst case scenario.

Our ACP is average CPU power. We run standard workloads, run them at 100% utilization and measure power.

Intel is not real open about max power. They used to post it online, but when they started getting pressure from AMD about those max power ratings, they stopped showing up online.

I'd love to have someone from Intel come here to debate this topic, because at this point, the specs (which they try to keep private) are not in their favor.

In designing a system to max power (which you have to do), we are not 42w disavantaged, we are actually 60w advantaged.

We do release max power. It is called TDP. [link]

The reason the thermal design sheet lists TDP is because that is what you use to design systems. TDP is designed for system builders and OEMs. ACP is designed for customers in figuring out what they need for the data center.

ACP came into being a few years back because our TDP was 95W and it was rare that we ever had a part that even got above 50W. Customers were complaining that they were budgeting their racks for a certian amount of power, assuming 95W, and then ending up heavily under utilized. We were getting a lot of complaints from customers that we were too conservative and that this was leading to too much inefficiency in their data centers. I was on the receiving end of a lot of these conversations and they were not pleasant as data center floor space was the most expensive real estate in the building.

If you want a simple rule of thumb, use the following.

Most power a system can draw:

Intel = Max power
    AMD = TDP

Typical power draw for standard applications:

Intel = TDP
    AMD = ACP

If you are asking "why doesn't AMD just use TDP like the rest of the world" then you are on to something. We actually do. If you bother to go back to the wikipedia link above, you'll see TDP defined as:

"The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, represents the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate"

That sounds a lot like how AMD defines TDP, but that also sounds like how Intel defines max power. So, in reality, the "hoky" measurement is actually Intel's TDP because it does not represent what the rest of the industry means when they say TDP.

[link]

[ Szerkesztve ]

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák